America is in a free-fall.
Remember when Maverick lost control of his plane? He relied on himself so much that he never thought about ever not being in control. He lost his partner and friend. He nearly lost his own career and life in the process.
How did we get here? How did we get to this moment of free-fall? We rely on the wrong things. As individuals we rely on the wrong things. It makes sense that collectively, our nation is also relying on the wrong things. Here are 5 things that are killing us more as we rely on them too much.
- Technology – I use it every day. I have my phone, my computer, my tablet, and the computer chips in my car. I am not going off the grid any time soon, but I am saying that we rely on tech more than we probably should. The skills we once had have been replaced by technology so that we are becoming enslaved to it. Boys don’t fix their cars anymore. Couples don’t talk, they text. I think an entire generation of men would explode if we turned off Fox News, while another would explode if cell phones were down for a while. Just the other day our internet at the office was acting cranky and you would have thought the world had stopped spinning. For those who want to look poorly upon the gamers, please stop playing Words, Clash of Clans, Trivia Crack, and Candy Crush, especially the Soda edition. That which was supposed to bring us luxury and ease often just complicates and divides.
- Money – We can’t live without it, I get it. However, we do throw money at problems way too often. If our spouses are unhappy we throw money at the problem. If our children are whining we throw money at the problem. We let money bring us a sense of peace. If our accounts are full we feel satisfied. If our government cannot balance the budget, we just print more money. If we can’t pay our bills we charge it, unless you are the government then you just print more money. At some point this will all crash. The what?
- Government – During the depression there was such high unemployment that something had to be done. Programs were developed. Work was developed under the WPA and CCC programs. Assistance was granted. However, the citizens were never weaned off of this milk and taught to eat solid food. Now we have millions of Americans who make more sitting at home that many who work. Our reliance on the government to fix all of our problems is ridiculous. Govern and parent are different. The government is here to guide us, not suckle us on the bottle of everyone else’s effort.
- Media – we believe just about anything Fox News or CNN tells us depending on our political bent. These days, solid research is not being done. Like the boy who wrote an entire research paper using Wikipedia as a resource. We believe so much, especially if it is 140 characters or less. Everyone who has a computer and an internet connection is considered a journalist these days. Just because a few moms want to bring back “Black Death” does not mean we should all reject getting immunizations for our children.
- Personal Ability – While I treasure the pioneering spirit and the desire to accomplish bred by our culture, we are not the end-all of everything. We cannot do it all. We have limits. We have faults. We have weaknesses. This insane belief that we can have it all, do it all, and be everything rings hollow when graduates are not finding jobs, families are broken, kids are raising themselves, and only a few are making ends meet.
What can be done? What needs to be done? The Psalmist wrote:
Don’t count on your warhorse to give you victory—for all its strength, it cannot save you. But the lord watches over those who fear him, those who rely on his unfailing love. He rescues them from death and keeps them alive in times of famine. We put our hope in the lord. He is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. Let your unfailing love surround us, lord, for our hope is in you alone.
The warhorses of tech, money, government, media, and humanism will fail. America, as unit, is rejecting Jesus. He alone has the ability to move mountains, nations, economies, and hearts. Stop counting on our warhorses and starting fearing God and following Jesus. With Him, whom shall I fear?