When the church called us we began packing up everything and prepared to make a move. As a home owner, we wanted/needed to sell our home and desired to get as much out of it as possible. I talked with a few friends and settled on a realistic amount for the house.
Then I tried to sell it myself.
We took pictures and prepared ads. We sent them to the papers we could and promoted online as well. We had a several interested parties and showed the house a few times. After a few months, school was starting and needed to get to the new location. We registered them in school, patiently waiting and praying our home would sell on our own.
But that didn’t happen.
We went home to mow and clean up and then listed it with a realtor. The house was shown that night! I have 5 reasons you should use a realtor instead of trying to go it alone. These have fascinating implication on our lives as well.
- Experience – As we sat down, our realtor went over all the things we needed to do to prepare to sell the home. Realtors has experience that homeowners do not. They sell homes. We live in homes. When I tried to sell the house it was like shooting birds in a windstorm! Why was I trying to do something I had no experience doing? God has the experience in running lives more than we do. Why try to live on your own?
- Relationships – They have associations you do not and can bring them into your life at the right time. Our home was shown the first night we listed the house. Because of a social relationship, our realtor was given the chance to listen and present a case for the home. They are returning to look again. Additionally, since they have two offices the breadth of relationships is greater. I would never have those contacts on my own, and the realtor can bring them in faster. God has enormous relational prowess. His relational power affords a greater opportunity to bring someone to you that you never could on your own. Turning your life over to God, like a house, allows for a broader relational base.
- Ability – They can market and present your house far better than you can. A realtor know when and how to market the home. They produce established and proper looking signage, materials, and presence in the campaign. The ability they have is more than my own. Listing with a realtor means I can tap into their ability and no rely solely on mine, which is lacking. When I examine my ability I realize I am lacking, and I am distracted. The job of the realtor is to sell homes. I have many other responsibilities. God wants to have a relationship with you. He has far more ability than you. Will you turn to Him or continue to look inside yourself?
- Peace of mind– you can rest assured they are working on your behalf while you do what you need to do. The moment we signed the paper and left I had peace of mind. The home is not under contract, yet, but I know it is being taken care of too. I can focus my attention on matters of family and work while the other is being handled. When we stop trying to do for God and just be with God you will find peace of mind, body, and soul. Relieving yourself of the responsibility creates serenity we al demand and know not how to attain.
- Wisdom – it’s their job to know. Contracts, inspections, closings, and showing are all things I do not know, but a realtor does. So does God! When I was trying to sell my own home I had an outdated contract! This could have hurt me later. With a realtor, I had the best contract and the wisdom to know the process. The wisdom of God, tied closely to experience, is far greater than our own. He knows the procedures for any decision and issue in your life. He knows the exact path you need to walk in order to keep yourself clean and pure before Him and others.
Some may argue that we are paying for all of these things and could have paid it on our own just as well. The argument is the same when it comes to God. We believe we can just work harder rather than smarter and accomplish the same results. How is that working for you? I have found that if I work smarter rather than harder the gain is exponential. The wise will give their life to God and allow Him to far more than we could ever dream or imagine.
I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance. I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him.